[Foundation-l] Robert Mugabe's daughter - news story originating from Wikipedia?

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Mar 30 10:54:03 UTC 2007

On 3/29/07, Carl Fürstenberg <azatoth at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Can the Minister confirm that [[Robert Mugabe]]'s daughter, Bona
> Mugabe, is currently studying at the London School of Economics, and
> if so, can he say who is paying?"

If this did indeed play out this way, it is deeply concerning and
reminiscent of ''The Onion's'' parody of Wikipedia:
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50902

I can only repeat what is already known; the implementation of a
community approval method for article revisions is underway with the
help of a contractor (some volunteers have recently jumped in).
Progress is slower than I would like.

Even if we succeed and take a demo live soon, this will not be a magic
bullet, as the actual processes of approval (and their scalability)
will be the real challenge. Given the continuing damage to Wikipedia's
reputation done by our inability to reliably distinguish useful
content from rubbish, I'm almost inclined to support switching the
site into a GMail style invite-only lockdown until we have a proper
solution. Necessity, after all, is the mother of invention.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic