[Foundation-l] Language Prevention Committee created

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Tue Mar 27 20:24:55 UTC 2007

Sabine Cretella wrote:

>Andre Engels schrieb:
>

>>2007/3/27, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>:
>>

>>In short, you are using these languages as a weapon in your fight to get
>>your favorite tool in through the MediaWiki developers - as long as you
>>don't implement my thing, I'm not going to allow any new languages. Firstly,
>>you are not the one to decide what the developers must do first and what
>>later. And second, even if you were, prospective Wikipedians are not the one
>>who should be the victim of your petty fights.
>>
>>I regret that you are on the Wikipedia languages committee when you are
>>willing to sacrifice Wikipedia languages for the, in your opinion, greater
>>good of MediaWiki languages.

I support the requirement that MediaWiki language files be completed
first before lauch. MediaWiki support has been neglected
by the community and is only given concerns as an afterthought. I guess
people have forgetton that MediaWiki is the foundation
upon which Wikipedia is built. It should have stable and complete
language support for every project.

Try to import an XML dump from the foundation without MediaWiki language
files properly formatted. Many of the dumps will
not work properly since the language files are not available for many of
these projects. This is a reasonable request.

Jeff