[Foundation-l] BitTorrent Downloads of enwiki Images

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 23:47:29 UTC 2007

> The real issue is that when I receive DMCA notices, the "uploader" or
> "provider" of the content is the Foundation if the author cannot be
> identified or contacted. In response to Anthere, the real issue for the
> foundation is this:

Surely *you* are the uploader/provider? I don't see what Wikipedia has
to do with it, it's simply a middleman.

> 1. I will need either the foundation to the notify users on Wikipedia
> via their talk page I have received such a notice or I am required to
> contact the users about an image they have uploaded.

Why can't you contact the users in that way? You're the one receiving
the DMCA notice.

> 3. The Foundation needs to decide whether these notices should be sent
> to the individual wikipedia users, or the Foundation directly. in any
> event, it would be an extra layer shielding the foundation from claims
> for distribution of fair use images in tarballs along with XML dumps.

Again, what does the foundation have to do with it?

> What will be distributed?
>
> .tar.gz and .tar.bz2 syncrhonized archives of all images for each XML
> dump published by Brion Vibber and the team
> .tar.gz and .tar.bz2 syncrhonized archives of all images for each XML
> dump with tagged fair use images removed published by Brion Vibber and
> the team

How is you distributing images that are only used in Wikipedia under
fair use not completely illegal? Your use of them isn't fair.