[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Job: Volunteer Coordinator

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 20:42:10 UTC 2007

On 01/03/07, Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hm. Methinks it is rather odd that an international organization does not
> have its head office in or near a world city. I mean, other than the cool
> wikijob and the nice weather what does St Pete / Tampa have in terms
> of services (including connections to like-minded organizations; not to
> mention easy access to consulates)?

I think to a great degree this is a modern shift; it's becoming less
and less vital for an organisation to have to be in a major city in
order to function, especially an organisation which is simply a
central point for a wide virtual network.

Plus, inertia. When you've started, and you're doing fine, it's rather
jarring to have to move when there's no pressing reason to. And WMF
does seem to be doing well enough with hiring good people in the St.
Petersburg area; it's not like we're scraping the barrel because of
being in the sticks.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk