[Foundation-l] Audit charter and whistleblower policy

dan harp dharp66 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 19 15:09:39 UTC 2007

open communication........

open information with no filters.....

that is what I see us becoming.

So.....perhaps a broader peramiter other than legal /
illegal ; and certainly a chain of comand but also one
to represent the whistleblower.

provided of course that all other attempts to resolve
issues have taken place.

(http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Whistleblower_Policy&oldid=21384)

> [...]
> >> reported abuse.
> >>
> >> The main reason why this policy was adopted is
> that this issue was
> >> raised in the past; by Danny himself, who told me
> once he did not dare
> >> report something, because he feared he would be
> fired. Well, with this
> >> policy, and if he had signed it, he would be
> protected. The important
> >> point is that legally speaking, when there is an
> illegal activity going
> >> on around you, you are supposed to report it. If
> a kid is killed and you
> >> know the murderer, you are bound by law to report
> the name (unless it is
> >> someone family related etc...). However, an
> employee could argue he did
> >> not respect the law, because he feared being
> fired for reporting the
> >> abuse. With that policy, he can not claim that he
> would be fired. The
> >> important part in this is that if the employee is
> aware of illegal
> >> activity, and does not report it, then he is
> "sharing" the
> >> responsability and becoming himself part of the
> abuse. Consequently,
> >> this is a powerful tool to ensure that abuse is
> reported.
> >>
> >> The second reason why the policy was adopted now
> is that we expect to
> >> have a new ED very soon. Which means that the
> board will be "further"
> >> from the staff and the staff mostly work with the
> ED. In case there is
> >> anything wrong going on with the ED, the staff
> can report to the chair,
> >> and they will be protected through the policy.
> >> At the same time, it protects the ED, as
> employees can not do
> >> bad-mouthing without facts. In short, if an
> employee comes to us and say
> >> "the ED is securing money for himself", the
> answer we can give is "do
> >> you have proof of that accusation ? If you do,
> then please provide the
> >> documentation, and you are protected by the
> policy. If you don't, please
> >> keep your opinions to yourself; thanks".
> >>
> >> Note that the dual reporting system makes it
> possible to report to the
> >> ED of an abuse by the chair. Note, for now, this
> policy has not been
> >> signed by any staff member. It must be signed
> voluntarily.
> >>
> >> Last, the issue of the chair not being required
> by the policy to act if
> >> he is reported an illegal issue. It is not
> necessary to mention in the
> >> policy that the chair must act in case he is
> informed of abuse, because
> >> he is required to act in case of abuse. "All
> corporate powers shall be
> >> exercised by or under the authority of, and the
> business and affairs of
> >> the Foundation shall be managed under, the
> direction of the Board of
> >> Trustees." In case of non-action when abuse is
> reported, the chair is
> >> the first in line and usually gets consequences

=== message truncated ===