[Foundation-l] We should permit Flash video playback

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 14:48:03 UTC 2007

On 21/07/07, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

> Is this definitely legal?  Can the WMF transcode OGG to flv without
> permission from anyone?  If so, I really don't see the problem, per
> the reasons you give.  But Kat mentioned this:
>
> "So, great, you can edit the theora version with only free tools, but
> then you can't update the Flash version; you're dependent on someone
> willing to play by their rules to do so."
>
> This implies that some sort of permission is needed to transcode OGG
> to flv (or maybe it has to be done outside the US).

My (albeit sketchy) understanding is that it assumes we get permission
to do this sort of encoding, or we do it through IA who has this
permission.

(As we've learned with with-permission images, getting permission to
do something "for Wikipedia", etc, usually works better than one might
anticipate!)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk