[Foundation-l] Future Board election procedures and guidelines

Sue Reed sreed1234 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 20 21:19:27 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com

Indeed. And a further thing that separates Foundation trustees from
being shareholders is that the trustees have not made an undertaking
in expectation of getting some dividend based on the profit made by
the corporation.

The only thing the Wikimedia Foundations trustees have promised,
hopefully, is that they will do their best; not that they will try
to maximise the money gathered for some party who gains
monetarily from what the Wikimedia Foundations activities bring forth.

It would be a sad day if you could buy into the board of Wikimedia
Foundation, like shares can buy control of a corporation. I know that
Jimbo has spoken on this matter to different effect, but this is my view.

I think I know what your answer to this will be based on your response ... But, I wanted to ask anyway and see if others chimed in. Many non-profit boards expect each board member to commit to raising a certain amount of money for the organization as a part of being on the board. Are you saying that you would be against such a requirement?

Sue Anne
sreed1234 at yahoo.com