[Foundation-l] We should permit Flash video playback

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Fri Jul 20 19:03:21 UTC 2007

On 7/20/07, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> Storage and bandwith is what the bulk of the financial resources of the WMF
> are spend on.

Umm, "the bulk"?  See
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/What_we_need_the_money_for

Bandwidth is 17% of the non-capital budget, and that percentage is
shrinking over time.  Hardware costs are significant, but I know
enough about computers to know that hard drives are only a small
portion of hardware costs.

> For our latest funding drive there was a budget for 1,4 / 1,5
> million dollars.

The numbers provided in the budget didn't even add up, and the figures
1.4 / 1.5 million are nowhere to be found.

> We got slightly more than a million. When we find that the
> Internet Archive is willing to host a substantial part of our requirements
> it would make it possible to do more of the other things we budgeted for.

I won't argue with that part of your statement.