[Foundation-l] We should permit Flash video playback

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 20 16:18:21 UTC 2007

Erik Moeller wrote:
> 1) we immediately begin serious discussions with the Internet Archive
> about hosting some or all of our video content on their servers;

The basic problem with this is that, in my experience and according to
reports I have read, IA is slow. They're happy to host any content and
they are actively working to get more content on board -- this is the
message we got from Brewster Kayle at Wikimania 2006. But they make no
guarantees about quality of service. Wikimedia has more outgoing bandwidth
and a much higher request rate than IA, and we're well positioned to scale
that up. IA has far more storage space than we do, but it doesn't cost us
much to add a few TB, which is all we'll need in the near term.

-- Tim Starling