[Foundation-l] The average voter and voting systems (was Re: Notice of the results of the WMF Board of Trustees election)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 23:45:04 UTC 2007

On 14/07/07, Peter Halasz <email at pengo.org> wrote:

> Complications for whom? The only difficulty is for the people counting
> the votes (or in writing an algorithm to do it). STV is much easier
> for the actual voters to express their intentions.

As an Australian who's scrutineered (i.e. stood around on behalf of a
candidate watching the Electoral Commission workers counting the
votes) at an election, and thus kept count, I'm sceptical that they
actually will in practice. OTOH, a 1% turnout suggests everyone who
voted really cared about the result.

- d.