[Foundation-l] Notice of the results of the WMF Board ofTrustees election

THURNER rupert rupert.thurner at wikimedia.ch
Fri Jul 13 19:35:33 UTC 2007

On 7/13/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Brianna Laugher wrote:
> > On 13/07/07, Philippe Beaudette <philippebeaudette at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Brianna,
> >>
> >> We BEGGED for translators.  Aphaia worked hard to find translators.  If
> the community doesn't step up, there's not a great deal we can do.
> >
> > Philippe, my message was about the Board (WMF) and the not the
> > Election Committee, which I think did a very good job in difficult
> > circumstances.
> >

> I find it a little bit too easy here to blame it on the board. You are a
> responsible citizen yourself. Why did not you go yourself ask arabic
> wikipedians to translate the notice ? Why is it necessarily the job of
> the board ? Don't you think that ANY wikipedian who knows arabic editors
> is more appropriate and efficient to ask help locally ?
>
> What do you suggest that the board does in the future ?

i'd go for the simple solution:
make sure that a short english sentence is put on EVERY wikipedia linking to
a wiki page with detailed description, and wait until somebody translates
it. this is proven from the beginning of wikipedia.

i guess the one who has the power of putting the note on top of the
wikipedias could be blamed for not doing it - but i am unsure what we would
gain by doing this :)

rupert