[Foundation-l] Notice of the results of the WMF Board of Trustees election

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 10:11:28 UTC 2007

2007/7/13, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>:

>     There were 15540 votes on 4170 ballots; that's an average of 3.73
> votes per ballot.  This suggests to me that contrary to what Erik has
> suggested this still retains the deficiencies of strategic voting.  If
> possible it would be interesting to see how the ballots were distributed
> on a number of votes per ballot basis.

It depends - what do you call the 'deficiencies' of strategic voting?

In my opinion, if (and that's a big if) this vote number is caused by
people making what they consider to be strategically the best choice,
then having few votes per ballot means that the voters apparently
trust each other quite well. It means voters find it more likely that
there's a close call between their favorites and the ones they like
well, but not the best than one between people they like well and
those they like not so well. Alternatively speaking, voters (IF their
vote was strategic) trusted that their votes would not be needed to
keep the bad candidates out of the board, and instead used them to try
to get the best ones in rather than the good ones.

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels