[Foundation-l] Travel policy

The Uninvited Co., Inc uninvited at nerstrand.net
Mon Jul 9 19:22:47 UTC 2007

<<< Anthere wrote:
Let me get the point through. Are you saying that "claiming a childcare
expense" is a "remuneration" for me ?

I would like to start out by making it very clear that this is not about
you.  It is about travel policy in general.

By the operating conventions of U.S. corporations, 501 (c) 3 or
otherwise, child care is not widely seen as a reimbursable travel
expense even if it may technically be permitted by tax law.  In the
context of a U.S. based 501 (c) 3 corporation seeking substantial funds
from U.S. donors, reimbursement for these expenses would be seen by most
observers as a form of indirect compensation.

I recognize that standards may be different in, for example, France or
the Netherlands.

<<<
Either our board members are from the community, diverse in their
origin, in their gender, in their financial ability, in their age etc...
And we might get people having a little bit more trouble covering their
costs. Actually, people with income usually also have a job and have low

availability. Or they have no job and much more time to dedicate. But
they need to be reimbursed the costs of working as volunteers.

Or we choose deliberately board members such as Bill Gates, Richard
Branson, Bill Clinton etc.... who are rich, do not need to get any
reimbursement, do not need to work any more etc...

You present a false dichotomy.  There are sitting board members as well
as past candidates, current candidates, and potential candidates who,
while not wealthy, are able and willing to make time to volunteer.  This
would be more true if the board were to discontinue its practice of
being a "working board" and instead limited its activities to those
items within its proper purview.

Steve