[Foundation-l] (no subject)

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 18:51:17 UTC 2007

On Jul 9, 2007, at 2:07 PM, GerardM wrote:

> Hoi,
> The reason why the norm of American charitable boards is relevant
> up to a
> point is that we are a global organisation. The point where the
> American
> norms lose their values in comparison is where an American law
> stops giving
> us options. When there is room for us to decide what is good, we
> are allowed
> to do so.

We are an American registered corporation. Because of that, we are
obliged to follow American laws, and abide by American standards.
Want to do things the euro way? Work for Wikimedia UK, or Wikimedia
Germany.

> We want the board to be a reflection of the people that make up our
> community. We want these people be the ones that are most likely to
> do a
> mature job for us. I would rather have parents on the board then
> another
> bright kid who still has to learn much about the realities of life.

(disclaimer: this is not directed at any members of the board past or
present in particular)

I would rather have a bright kid who has a relevant professional
degree and knows how to do the job of a board member than a parent
with no such professional degree, and no experience being on a board
of trustees. Come on, we already know the board, by their own
admission, are operating outside the way they should ideally be, by
having to micromanage staff and act as a "working" board. Would you
rather have people who don't see what's wrong with that? Or would you
rather have a board of professionals that will expand Wikimedia
projects and ensure its financial, legal, and positional safety?

> The amount of money involved in child care is not that much in the
> grand
> scale of things. When you consider the amount of time the board
> members put
> into their vocation it is a steal.
>
> Thanks,
>     GerardM

It's not 100% about the cost. It's about limiting expenses, and it's
about making the board a job of service, not a job of perks, or a job
of resume building.

-Dan Rosenthal