[Foundation-l] translation and the GFDL

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 09:50:58 UTC 2007

Hoi,
This thread is about translating the GFDL. The fact that a majority of our
edits are in the English language as a consequence makes no difference.

The GFDL and the GPL are written in such a way that they are likely to be
valid in the jurisdictions of the world. The CC licenses have a text that is
valid for the jurisdiction it has been written for. Consequently, there is
little need to translate the CC licenses. This is a marked difference and
this gives rise to a need to translate the GFDL. This license needs to be
understood by people who speak other languages.

Where you accuse me of "language politics", you have to appreciate that what
I have written IS about the topic of this thread. What license you prefer is
personal. Not permitting the translation of the GFDL and making it the
license for a Wikipedia  in a new language means that you bind the
contributors to a license that they cannot understand. To me this is not
ethical.

Thanks,
    GerardM