[Foundation-l] translation and the GFDL

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 22:10:56 UTC 2007

An issue on commons and various non english wikis.

First it is only legal to translate the GFDL if you add:

"This is an unofficial translation of the GNU General Public License
into language. It was not published by the Free Software Foundation,
and does not legally state the distribution terms for software that
uses the GNU GPL—only the original English text of the GNU GPL does
that. However, we hope that this translation will help language
speakers understand the GNU GPL better."

At the top.

Secondly it needs to be made clear at all times that it is the en
version that is legally binding.

A failure to do this has resulted in the situation where I'm not sure
if tr.wikipedia is technically under the GFDL.

The commons issue can be sorted out locally how licensing templates
across languages and the various licensing issues on edits pages are
more of a problem.

--
geni