[Foundation-l] Don't waste your vote!

Alison Wheeler wikimedia at alisonwheeler.com
Sun Jul 1 00:39:54 UTC 2007

On Sun, July 1, 2007 00:17, Søren Kiersted wrote:
> Look at the endorsements:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2007/Endorsements
>
> It is clear that only some have the standing to keep
> a bad person off the board. So even if you know in your heart that
> someone else is better, you should not pick them because if you do
> your vote is WASTED.

Apart from finding much of this post objectionable, the number of people
endorsing each candidate is, in fact, irrelevant given that many editors
(myself included) were quite capable of reading the page concerned and,
having noted that there was a particular number of endorsements required
to validate a candidacy and noting that any candidates whom we supported
had already received the required number, could see no point in adding to
a 'beauty contest' there when it is the actual *votes* now that matter.

The number of supporters corralled into adding pointless endorsements just
shows who made the most noise, not who actually may have the most support
or would be the best for the future of Wikimedia and the projects.

One should always vote *for* a candidate, never against, imho.

Alison Wheeler
(writing purely personally)