[Foundation-l] Sigh, problems with non-Latin usernames again

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 13:54:49 UTC 2007

Delirium schreef:
> Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>
>> I do not have a problem to be a lonely voice that identifies
>> discrimination where I see it. I prefer to be seen as someone who does
>> make himself heard than someone who mutters in the background.
>>

> You mean you don't have a problem with poisoning debate by attacking
> good-faith Wikipedia contributors as bigots.  Welcome to the killfile.
>
> -Mark
Hoi,
Even when people propose thing with the best of intentions, it does not
make that what they propose is right. It is exactly when you do not
listen to arguments any more that bigotry is shown. The problem for me
is that the very basis of what is proposed is wrong. At issue is that
people want a policy that insists on people renaming themselves for
their convenience. You can ASK people to do this, but you can not INSIST
on this. This is the fine line that we walk.

Given how bigot is defined: "A bigot is a prejudiced person who is
intolerant of any opinions differing from their own. " I might qualify
because I am prejudiced because to me this /is /discrimination pure and
simple and I do have little tolerance for that. Given that you
apparently use use a killfile, you may indeed nominate yourself as well.
Then again, when you indeed do use a killfile, you may never learn that
you do.

Thanks,
    GerardM