[Foundation-l] EBNF of Wikitext

Dirk Riehle dirk at riehle.org
Mon Jan 22 07:47:58 UTC 2007

It seems unrealistic to me to get try to get the full MediaWiki syntax
represented in EBNF---too many grammar issues outside its abilities.

If I were you, I would start with an agreed upon subset. We had a
session on this at WikiSym 2006 which lead to Wiki Creole, see
www.wikicreole.org (Please note Brion was there.)

I think you might want to sync up with the Wiki Creole people, which
are C Sauer and C Smith jointly with several leading wiki engine
implementers.

Also, wikitech-l/research-l or wiki-standards/wiki-research seem
better places for discussing this.

Finally, I hope you'll submit your results to WikiSym www.wikisym.org.
We are all in desparate need of a good grammar and semantics
definition.

Dirk