[Foundation-l] In defence of Google

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 23:37:50 UTC 2007

Tim 'avatar' Bartel schreef:
> Hi,
>
> Gerard Meijssen schrieb am 18.01.2007 18:16:
>
>> I want to remind
>> you all that it is because of the value Google attaches to our content
>> that we became the number 10 or whatever in the Alexa rankings. When
>> Google were to drop the value it attaches to Wikipedia in favour of for
>> instance Citizendium, it will become clear how important Google is for
>> the dissemination of our Free content.
>>

> My english isn't the best for sure, but I think your posting implies
> that Google is tempering search results by adding a bonus to results
> from Wikipedia and/or that Google will perhaps adjust this bonus down
> and adding a higher one to results from Citizendium. I hope I don't got
> you wrong.
>
> In my understanding this is NOT the case and I have no data or source to
> believe otherwise. I believe that Wikipedia entries are listed high in
> Google because they match the existing automatic pagerank and search
> algorithms and there is no 'handwork' needed. If someone has other
> informations, please share them, thanks.
>
> Bye, avatar.
Hoi,
All search engines have metrics and these are adjusted to perform in the
way that is considered best. Wikipedia has demonstrated in most
languages great quality and this made sure that Google has valued us.
When Citizendium proves that it does a better job, they deserve to be
rewarded by a higher Google rating than us. Nothing special, nothing
sinister.

In contrast it is well known that Microsoft has downgraded Wikipedia
because we compete with one of their products. It is this type of bias
that makes their search offering unpalatable and why I advise against
its use.
Thanks,
    GerardM