[Foundation-l] in defence of Google

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 10:00:57 UTC 2007

Hoi,
The question of "central or decentral" will have to decided. You mention
a "wikifoundation" and that implies an hierarchy of some kind. Wikia is
a for profit organisation, so what? Does that make Wikia and Jimmy evil?
I would also not be surprised that Jimmy is doing it at Wikia because it
takes a long time to convince the Wikimedia Foundation that a new
project is the right thing to do. In this case I am not even sure that
this project is in line with the aims of the WMF, my money would not be
on it and I am not a betting man.

With the feeling for a need of an alternate search engine, you will have
obviously considered a business model for this project, even "not for
profits" need business plans. This business plan will make plain why it
is a good thing to do but most of all how it will be possible to make it
a sustainable project. Sustainable as in being both able to scale and to
be there next year as well.

Freedom from the hierarchy only works for those that are the hierarchy
or are not part of a collaborative process. Even within collaborative
processes there is a hierarchy. The point of this thread is that it is
best to acknowledge the cooperation and the help that we get even when
it comes from "unexpected" corners. It is not only sensible, it is also
the gracious thing to do.

Thanks,
    GerardM