[Foundation-l] In defence of Google

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Sat Jan 20 12:09:01 UTC 2007

On 1/20/07, Peter van Londen <londenp at gmail.com> wrote:
> GerardM is not alone.
>
> I do agree, with Gerards view.
> Why this hostility to commerce, I don't understand?
> Let's use them for our purposes in stead of renounce them!

If you know anything about me you'd know I'm not at all hostile to
commerce.  There's nothing at all wrong with commerce.  I just don't
think commerce is something to be praised.

I also think it's a joke to say that Google is a proponent of open
content.  Google Video: DRM.  Google Book Search: DRM.  The list of
Google's adoption of policies which go completely against open content
goes on and on.  Maybe they donate to some open source projects.  In
fact, if you want to say that "Google did a world of good to the Open"
SOURCE movement, I won't object.  But the original statement that
touched off my objection was talking about Open Content, not Open
Source.

Anthony