[Foundation-l] In defence of Google

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Jan 20 09:47:41 UTC 2007

Anthony wrote:

>On 1/19/07, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>If CZ becomes successful without being a fork of Wikipedia (and
>>>they're apparently going to try), then it *won't* have the same data
>>>as Wikipedia.  It's unlikely it'll even have "more or less the same
>>>data".
>>>
>>>But thinking about this, I guess it's unclear to me what this has to
>>>do with Google being important to the dissemination of Free Content.
>>>Is the "our" part of that important?  Is this about whether or not CZ
>>>will be Free Content?  I just learned today that they're considering
>>>CC-by-NC.  I guess if they choose that license it'll matter.  But
>>>Google doesn't seem to rank Free Content sites any higher than others.
>>>

>>Here the law makes all the difference and prevent CZ from using the
>>Wikipedia content.
>>

>As of this Saturday, CZ is going to stop using Wikipedia content by
>default, at least on a trial basis.

I'm sure that this move will do wonders for their growth.  I only one
year they could be as big and successful as Nupedia.  How they choose to
handle licensing is their problem.  I can't see how starting everything
from scratch will make their work very easy.  It's like shooting oneself
in the foot as a cure for corns.

Ec