[Foundation-l] Board meeting in Rotterdam later this week

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jan 17 07:25:49 UTC 2007

Gerard Meijssen wrote:

>The point of ND is that it does not allow to change
>material in such a way that they do not accurately reflect what was
>originally there. When for editorial reasons a picture is changed,
>typically there does not need to be a problem. One reason why I would
>insist on ND is to prevent the barbarism of people changing the colours
>in art.

While it is important to have an accurate copy of original art as a
reference point, I have no problem when a user (in the spirit of Andy
Warhol) plays with the colours of a work of art.  Sometimes a work of
art can be studied better by electronically enhancing certain parts of
the spectrum.

Also, not all scans are the same.  Poor scanning equipment and software
can itself generate distortions of coulour.

Ec