[Foundation-l] Board meeting in Rotterdam later this week

David Strauss david at fourkitchens.com
Mon Jan 15 08:44:40 UTC 2007

I think the equity you're suggesting is harmful.

The English Wikipedia's policy on fair use freely admits that fair-use
media is inferior to free media. But if people in Italy can't publish
under the fair-use exception, that doesn't give the Italian Wikipedia
justification to use non-commercial media.

Allowing non-commercial media doesn't fill the gap in content that
Italian law creates by banning fair use. It just seems vindictive.

Let's say we're both pastry chefs. I'm baking a pie. Even though I'm
against using saturated fats, I know that the final touch of flaky crust
requires a bit of shortening. So I compromise.

Now, let's say your bakery has a policy against using shortening. It
would be irrational for you to go back to your kitchen and start using
margarine loaded with trans-fats just because I'm using shortening and
you can't. You just end up -- nothing gained -- with an unhealthy pie.