[Foundation-l] Board meeting in Rotterdam later this week

David Strauss david at fourkitchens.com
Mon Jan 15 08:01:49 UTC 2007

You said:
"...and the person commits the act from italian territory, and the
claiment is italian, an italian judge might well decide to consider the
claim..."

I said in my earlier post:
"But there's a huge difference between what the Italian Wikipedia can
host and what Italian citizens may post to it."

You're not recognizing that difference. You are treating the Italian
Wikipedia as if it has an exclusive relationship to people in Italy. Not
only do people in Italy edit other Wikipedias in abundance, people
outside Italy edit the Italian Wikipedia.

Now, I've personally tinkered around on the German Wikipedia. It makes
little sense to have my edits confined by policies assuming German
authorship. I'm a U.S. citizen publishing information to a U.S.-hosted
site. People in Germany may be the primary readers, but plenty of
Germans read the English Wikipedia, too.

Likewise, many people in Germany edit the English Wikipedia. If the
German Wikipedia is the only place where policy considers the needs of
German editors, German editors of the English Wikipedia may be at risk.

Policies involving legal concepts need to be separated from languages.