[Foundation-l] Board meeting in Rotterdam later this week

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Jan 14 02:37:35 UTC 2007

effe iets anders wrote:

>I would like to say as well that a lot of times institutions claim rights on
>the area of copyright they do *not* have.

That's very common.

>That is of course understandable,
>they want to stay in control. I would advice the italian community to seek
>advice from experts (maybe that could be done by the foundation or wikimedia
>italia?) to find our whether these claims are justifyable and whether they
>will stand in court as well.

Somehow we are not very far ahead if we must run to a lawyer every time
we dispute a copyright claim.  The legal costs will go up very quickly,
at the same time that it costs the false claimant nothing.  It hould be
up to the claimant to start legal action.

>You prooved today that it is indeed important
>to have that found out. And maybe it would be better to loose a case in test
>tryal in court on this as to be incertain forever. I dont know, i leave that
>up to the legal department. but maybe we should just consider.

Yes it would move the topic forward if we lost a case!  The case would
move even further forward if we won.  I doubt, however, that it would
ever get to trial.  How do you handle a legal bluff?

Ec