[Foundation-l] Board meeting in Rotterdam later this week

David Strauss david at fourkitchens.com
Sat Jan 13 08:47:20 UTC 2007

Allowing fair use is not an issue of convenience. There are some items
that will not be available in any free form until their copyrights
expire that also have no substitutes. We cannot simply refuse to use
such items when we need them to discuss a topic.

For example, if an article discusses the controversy between Apple's
Sherlock and the competing program Watson, it's necessary to invoke fair
use to illustrate the differences through screenshots. Even the most
descriptive prose cannot suffice when the topic is the visual looks of
the user interfaces.

And thoroughness is better than purity. With license-annotated, thorough
content, you can easily remove the offending bits to achieve purity. The
converse is not so easy.