[Foundation-l] Fundraising and site notice

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 02:20:04 UTC 2007

--- Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> More regular fundraisers will help; the community has been hoping for a
> fundraiser since the late spring. And more targeted messaging could make
> the fundraiser more successful, as a source of funds and as an event
> around which the community can rally and grow.

Yep; more regular drives and have each shorter in duration. 2 weeks max each but up to 4 per year,
IMO. Having different themes in each drive should also help; the general and vague 'knowledge is
power' theme is getting a bit old.

Focus of any one drive could be on a mix of one or two of the following in this very incomplete
list; community, helping endangered/minor languages, expanding access to knowledge into parts of
the world w/o Internet, improving one of our projects (such as Wikiversity) or even a particular
area of a project, strengthening the foundation generally or any of many different areas,
international aspects, {input your idea here}, etc.

> It would help as the fundraiser ends to have some explicit idea that
> we are pushing towards a goal, and a request to help meet that goal.

I agree - it should also be based on projected revenue needs forecasted from on an actual budget
that can be adjusted based on actual amount raised. A reserve also needs to be set-aside.

> It would help to have a sitewide notice that acknowledges and supports our
> strong open community, saying something like
>   "The Wikimedia projects are written and sustained by you, our readers and
>    editors. [[How you can help|Help us grow in 2007]]."

I would like to put that in the anon notice once the drive is over. We could even have a different
message every day of the week via ((CURRENTDAYNAME}} magic.

-- mav