[Foundation-l] Why is MediaWiki so low-tech?

Ashar Voultoiz hashar at altern.org
Sun Jan 7 03:01:47 UTC 2007

Tim Starling wrote:
<snip>
> We have several JS/AJAX features, and I have attempted to encourage the
> development of more. See
>
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2006-August/025991.html
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2006-September/026387.html

I badly need to learn AJAX, so that might be a good start :)

> The answer to your question is that we have far fewer developers (in
> full-time equivalent terms) than Facebook, Flickr or any of the other
> major AJAX-based sites. We will work towards improved client-side
> functionality, but it could take years to reach the level of functionality
> you're talking about.

What about hiring more developers ? Maybe the foundation should looks
for the needed skills. The MediaWiki code is well wrote and can be
learned easily. With Brion and you as mentors, I am sure they will get
effective very fast.

It might be good to get some people to handle the servers too, that will
mean less system administration for you and more development.

cheers,

--
Ashar Voultoiz - WP++++
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hashar