[Foundation-l] Donation of DVDs to Wikimedia Foundation Projects

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 00:01:38 UTC 2007

On 1/2/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
[snip]
> My take is that we should collaborate with the Internet Archive on
> hosting files above 100 MB, though we should still provide metadata
> for the files as well.

Because of their apparently non-proactive approach with copyright and
use of proprietary formats, they may at some point in the future
become a highly discouraged external link target on English Wikipedia
much like YouTube is today.

I'd like a clear understanding of why handing off part of our hosting
to someone else is being advocated. If the simple hosting some large
static files is outside of out domain of expertise, what exactly is
inside our domain of expertise?