[Foundation-l] alternatives

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 14:18:46 UTC 2007

2007/1/2, David Strauss <david at fourkitchens.com>:

> Storing Wikipedia is not the problem:
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/What_we_need_the_money_for

I think this says little about what part is paid on storage. In particular,
there is a 'goal for hardware' section which does not say to what extent it
is storage that we need the hardware for. More informative I find
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_servers - Wikimedia currently runs
240 computers. Of these, 14 are in use to store data on, and of those 14, 12
are 'slave' database servers. And the only reason we have two masters, is
for geographical reasons: One is in Florida, the other in Korea. In short,
it still fits all on a single computer, although we have that one computer a
dozen times over for easier database access. There's however almost 20 times
as many computers working to get this data out to the world.

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels