[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies

luke brandt shojokid at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 07:54:41 UTC 2007

Ray Saintonge wrote:
> luke brandt wrote:
>
>> Ray Saintonge wrote:
>>

>>> The first clause in the quotation is remarkable for its ambiguity.  My
>>> first inclination was to read this as indicating that property is
>>> essential to the definition of culture, or that a society that does not
>>> believe in capital does not have a culture.  A more acceptable
>>> interpretation is that a culture does not exclude the existence of
>>> property.  In other words

>>> Having artists be paid is acceptable in both circumstances.  In
>>> accounting terms, property is an asset on the balance sheet; getting
>>> paid belongs in the revenue portion of the financial statements.
>>>

>> Hi, and thanks for your thoughts. In clarifying the quote how do you
>> think you should take into account the second sentence - seemingly the
>> counterpoint and twin of the first in the quotation, which is in
>> essence: "A culture without property ... is anarchy, not freedom."  - luke
>>
> One really needs to look at that second sentence in its entirety: "A
> culture
> without property, or in which creators can't get paid is anarchy, not
> freedom. ..."
>
> Does payment imply property?  Is that second premise an explanation or
> an alternative.  If I really wanted to emphasize grammatically fine
> points I would suggest that in order to be an explanation a comma would
> be required after "paid".  I hesitate to cast this into the areana of
> capitalist (property) versus Marxist (payment) dialectic.  There is a
> certain idealist thread in Marxism that forsees an anarchic workers'
> paradise; some doctrinnaire views of libertarianism might get us there
> too.  That aside, I can see neither the capitalists nor the Marxists
> promoting anarchy.  Wikinomics is in its infancy, and in that context it
> is perfectly understandable that Lessig would use the jargon of the
> society around him.
>
> There are a lot of grammatically negative words in the Lessig quote, and
> I wonder if he would have done better to express things in more positive
> terms.  Even "free" has a basis in an absence.
>
> One of the consequences of living in a paradigm shift is the destruction
> of presumptions.  That curse of interesting times escapes its box, and
> makes itself felt where it was not expected.
>
> The fact is that there are a lot of people providing a lot of
> intellectual effort for nothing other than the personal satisfaction of
> doing a good job.  They need to put food on the table as much as anybody
> else. There is a profound disconnect between work and compensation for
> that work.  The marketting and manufacturing structures that supported
> the enterprises that have heretofore been highly profitable are no
> longer needed, casting aside an army of Willy Lomans.
>
> Most of us who have an interest in Wikipedia and this mailing list also
> have an interest in free access to knowledge.  We are highly critical of
> [...]
Once again, thanks. For myself, I don't see the absence of that comma
being significant except stylistically. Lessig seems to have quite
deliberately positioned himself four-square in the 'Adam Smith camp' if
it may so be described. Doing so entails consequences for the particular
'freedom' paradigm that the movement espouses, doesn't it? - eg perhaps
our attitude on NC ... that's just one small reason why Lessig's axioms
need examining carefully, in my thinking on this, just as you did :)
Maybe there are other views. Take care - luke