[Foundation-l] precisions about the recent WMF "fair use" decision

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Feb 14 17:46:01 UTC 2007

geni wrote:

>On 2/12/07, David Strauss <david at fourkitchens.com> wrote:
>

>You want minimum restrictions with regard to copyright that is the
>correct course of action.

I agree with minimum restriction, but a move to Iran strikes me as
slightly unrealistic.

>>I'm arguing that we should weigh the advantages of accommodating foreign
>>restrictions
>>

>Try again this time try not to think so americano centri

Some accomodation of "foreign" restrictions is necessary, but it seems
that the most retrogressive pressures are the ones that come from the
European Union.

>>U.S. centrism is borne of ignorance or willful exclusion. Neither is the
>>case here.
>>

>Then try and think why when dealing with the option of moving the
>foundation to somewhere with the most liberal copyright laws on an
>international mailing list why using the term "foreign restrictions"
>isn't exactly ideal phrasing.

I can see where the word "foreign" leads to a number of anomalous
problems.  The location of the hardware in the United States does lead
to the natural tendency to have other laws considered foreign.  At the
same time it would be good to have a contingency plan for the location
of servers even if there is no immediately forseeable reason for
invoking that plan.  In any circumstances it would be helpful if we can
start developping more international terminology for our discussions.
Would the Berne Convention be a good starting point for this?.

Ec