[Foundation-l] Mayflower: Wikimedia Commons media search

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 03:12:27 UTC 2007

On 14/02/07, Husky <huskyr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, this is really good! I can finally find something on Commons without
> having to click trough a list of images or browsing categories :)
>
> Just some small recommendations:
> * I would give the 'x results found' a colourful background (maybe purple)
> to separate the search box from the thumbnail view. You could also move the
> search box to the right of the logo and use the dotted grey bar as a
> separator.
> * Having the license beneath the image would be very handy. Even more handy
> would be an option to do an 'advanced search' for a specific license (e.g.
> only PD images)
> * Maybe the colours should be a little more Wikimedia-like (green, blue,
> red) and the imagery could be more related to Wikimedia Commons to refer to
> the connection between the two. I attached an example logo (just an idea).
>
> Anyway, great job! With some more work Mayflower could be a great
> replacement for the current Commons search.

I suspect it would already be vastly more useful to our average user
than our default search :P

Yeah, I would put a by-line that says something like 'Search a
database of over one million <b>freely licensed</b> media files'. This
can be a great way to introduce non-Wikimedia people to Commons.

As a couple of people have commented, distinguishing between
images/sound/documents would be useful too.

Anyway -- fantastic work, Tangotango! It looks fabulous and we will
push it hard at Commons. And when you want some help developing that
MediaWiki extension, well, you know where to find me :)

cheers,
Brianna