[Foundation-l] Cherokee Language Classes Offered to Support Cherokee Wikipedia

Jeffrey V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Sat Feb 10 20:44:45 UTC 2007

I am setting up an on-line Cherokee Language class that describes the
structure, syntax, and methods for converting English articles into the
Cherokee Language to open up the Cherokee Wikipedia to more interested
editors.  I have received numerous requests from other Wikipedia editors
and admins on creating such a  class.  Since the rules of Wikipedia
prohibit using the Wiki's themselves for such content, I will host the
classes, tests, and instruction lessons on wikigadugi.org.

I am faced with two possible paths to make the Cherokee Wikipedia
successful.   Be a big fish in a small pond, or try to make the pond
bigger by raising all ships at the same time.  I am choosing the later
approach and will try to instill competence in the language with
interested editors.   There are a lot of Cherokee people who have
varying degrees of competence in the language, and the solution is to
instill greater awareness in the language and teach and transfer the
knowledge to others.

The basic tools for machine assisted translation are also completed.  We
now have a version of squid that translates all browsed web content into
the Cherokee Language.  I will be enabling this translating proxy at
wikigadugi to allow editors to assist in translating content for the
Cherokee Wikipedia.  I will have materials completed and online sometime
in March, and will begin the classes.  To sign up for classes, create an
account on the Cherokee Wikipedia and I will post a page there for class
signup for those interested in learning to speak and write in Cherokee.

Wado

donada gohvi.

Jeff