[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 15:40:40 UTC 2007

On 09/02/07, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> (I am unsure what that translated to in practice - I'm trying to dig
> up the reports, but suspect it was something along the lines of "you
> can only sue for the first couple of months of infringing use")

Aha, found it. Reported in the Times, Dec.02 1996:

"The owner of copyright in films who was aware that one of its
licensees had plans to broadcast the films outside the area specified
in the licence agreement and had subsequently done so, but did not
complain or take any other action to stop them, had acquiesced and was
therefore not entitled to claim an infringement of copyright."

The action was dismissed. I can pass a copy of the report (aha! fair
scholarly use!) on to anyone wishing to peruse it further...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk