[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Feb 9 06:09:47 UTC 2007

Ray Saintonge wrote:

> The important point in this is to avoid having people jump to
> conclusions.  We have no shortage of people willing to boldly find an
> excuse to embark on some kind of deletion campaign.

Precisely for this reason, I can't help but ask why Kat felt it
necessary to post anything at all.  Couldn't she just have been
silent?  Perhaps the posting should have started with an
explanation exactly why the posting was necessary. I can't believe
that upsetting the Italian community was among her reasons.

We all wish that the Italian community would understand that the
Foundation really doesn't hate Italy, but apparently such wishes
can't stop another hundred messages from cluttering this list.

In every practical aspect, policies from the Foundation (or from
Brion) now behave like a mass medium and tend to be redistributed
and misinterpreted in the same manner.  This means spokespeople
need the same kind of [[media training]] that political candidates
have to go through if they want to communicate their message
successfully.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)