[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies (some important points)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Feb 9 04:22:22 UTC 2007

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

>Perhaps their position will change now that they see high level
>support for being more careful about what we include?  ... This is the
>advantage of being somewhat strict about our "big goals": People who
>do not care if Wikipedia is free will now help make it more free,
>because they must in order to achieve the pretty articles they desire.
>:)

Thsat requires standing back, and taking a big picture look at the
situation.  Significant judgements will not be made on the basis of
whether this album cover or that production still is protected.  We can
almost always delete the specific picture in case of an argument from
the owner. The general pattern about how we use these things can be more
convincing if we ever have to present it to a judge.

Ec