[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies (some important points)

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 18:58:06 UTC 2007

> On 08/02/07, Marco Chiesa <chiesa.marco at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > be accepted any more. When Jimbo recently wrote that we should get rid
> > of  non-free material, many a voice was saying: "Hey, why shouldn't we
> > used stuff we worked hard to get permission when en.wiki uses
> > {{fairuse}} for the same purpose?"
>

> Note that en:wp used to have a LOT of with-permission images, which
> many contributors worked very hard to get permission for (e.g.
> User:Secretlondon ... who is now carrying her camera everywhere to
> generate free images). I believe these are almost all now gone. That
> is: en:wp went through this already.

Yeah. Edict to kill was May '05 (or so); they hung around for a long
time, but are now all gone AIUI. (Someone did a big cleanout lately)

(I seem to be carrying my camera everywhere too, now; go for a
ten-minute walk after lunch and try to photograph something, anything,
just to get in the habit. Most days, admittedly, this is rather futile
- I work in a secluded location in the countryside - but I've a lot of
nice photos of the Oxfordshire landscape out of it, and you never know
what interesting things will appear at short notice...)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk