[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies (some important points)

geni geniice at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 17:31:29 UTC 2007

On 2/8/07, Claudio Mastroianni <gattonero at gmail.com> wrote:
> *Fair use/fair dealing* doesn't exist outside UK/US (and other 4
> commonwealth country)

Fair dealing is very different from fair use. Do not lump them
together. It makes about as much sense as lumping Italian law together
with French.

Fair dealing is pretty standard throughout the former british empire.
So india uses a version of it and I suspect most of our former african
holdings do. That is about 25% of the earth's surface and probably a
simular amount of it's population.

By comparision fair use exists in the US and the philippines.
--
geni