[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 12:17:51 UTC 2007

2007/2/8, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>:

> Hoi,
> When a ND picture qualifies as fair use, the reason why you can maintain
> the
> existence is that it is fair use. The fact that it is also available as a
> ND
> is irrelevant and would be a reason for deletion.

I know that that's the policy, I'm just trying to show the illogicality of
the reasoning behind the policy. According to the message I was responding
to, fair use was okay partly because it does, when used well enough, not
infringe on the possibilities on reuse. Well, the same holds for ND, but
that is still disallowed.

And in fact I think it IS illogical to say "this image may be used in
unmodified form in any way, but nmay not be modified" is not free, when
"this image in this form may be used in the way we are using it, but we
don't say anything about other uses" is.

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels