[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies

habj sweetadelaide at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 11:15:14 UTC 2007

2007/2/8, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>:

> Please wait for the official resolution.

Fair enough! I just wonder about the next part of the same message

The Italian Wikipedia, by the way, is free to develop an exemption
> policy that resonates with US & Italian law on copyright exemptions.

When the official resolution comes, I would be very happy if there was
attached or included some kind of explanations as to if and how the laws of
Italy are important for Italian Wikipedia, the laws of Finland matters for
Finnish Wikipedia, etc. The servers are in Florida, so all of the Wikimedia
project have to abide abide by US law - fine. I am a Swedish citizen and so
I have to obey Swedish law if and when I upload stuff, and that is true
regardless if I upload files to Swedish Wikipedia, Japanese Wikipedia, or to
Commons. To me and many others, this does not necessarily imply that Turkish
law is relevant when it comes to what rules Turkish Wikipedia should have.
The degree might vary, but each and every project has users living in
several different countries; after all, the projects are defined according
to language, not nationality or residency. Some guidelines in this matter
would be helpful, as I am sure this is a topic of debate in many projects. I
do know that different projects have taken different stands on the matter -
on what grounds I am not sure.

/habj