[Foundation-l] svwikis evil twin, Metapedia

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 19:15:39 UTC 2007

On 2/7/07, Lennart Guldbrandsson <wikihannibal at gmail.com> wrote:
> 4. They have given the licence *both* as GFDL *and* have what in Swedish is
> called "ansvarig utgivare" (roughly "legally responsible publisher"). Does
> this makes sense?

It would depends what that legaly means

> Also, they have not given the full text of the
> GFDL-licence. Don´t you have to do that?

Yes you are required to provide a full copy of the GFDL.

> 5. Right now Metapedia have around 1.300 articles. This is to be measured
> against svwikis more than 200.000 articles. This does not appear to make any
> kind of threat, but why wait until every other search on Google has a
> Metapedia hit on second place (after Wikipedia, of course)? A random Google
> user probably can't be expected to know that Metapedia is run by people who
> claim that millions of Jews *didn't die* in the concentration camps.

Type "jew" into google. Notice the third result. It's nothing new.

In any case I doubt they will get very good results on google.

> My question is how to handle this. Can we do anything else beside complain
> and try to outdo Metapedia by being sooo much better?

Not really. Can't even really complain.

>Unfortunally, I
> suspect that this may be the price of free software and free content, but
> shouldn't Wikipedia be able to protect its reputation somehow?

The puzzel globe and the name are protected by trademark. Everything
else is free to use.

This has happened before in english. Lucy for us that time around the
media didn't notice.
--
geni