[Foundation-l] Comparison of new user welcome efforts across projects

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 06:20:20 UTC 2007

On 04/02/07, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> When a good consistent localisation for all our projects is given
> priority, we would make the incubator the wiki where all the effort of
> localisation is concentrated. This will provide a focus for localisation
> and the updated messages can be distributed from there to all the wikis
> for all the projects. It will also ensure that all languages are part of
> the MediaWiki releases, making MediaWiki even more relevant than it is
> at the moment.

You are talking about the interface, correct? I think RB is right that
welcome templates need to be a community effort rather than something
that can be automatically propogated. The message needs to be tweaked
from wiki to wiki, because they are at different stages of
development. A relatively small wiki doesn't usually have an
administrators' noticeboard and six varieties of village pump. And a
Wikipedia welcome will of course be significantly different to a
Wikinotpedia welcome.

cheers,
Brianna