[Foundation-l] A dangerous precedent

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 16:26:19 UTC 2007

I am not quite getting all emails through so this is
reconstructed from the archive:

****
*Liesel said:

*Ok, then must have every project the right to ban
*interwiki-links to
*volapük wikipedia, to prevent the spam with this
*links to sites without
*further informations.

****

That I do not have an issue with.  Certainly any
community can decide to accect or reject certain
interwiki links.

****

Birgitte SB wrote:
> If Volapük Wikipedia is valid community, then they
are
> free to create their project by any method that
works
> for them.  If it is not a valid community, then the
> WMF should close the project.  This is a bright
line.

*Gurch said:

*Well it's not that bright a line, unless someone
*comes up with a precise
*mathematical definition of what constitutes a "valid
*community".

*Anyway, while I personally don't think there is a
*valid community, I
*don't see that in itself as a good reason to close a
*project.

You snipped too much. I meant it is a bright line that
we, as outsiders, either close (or reboot if you like)
a community or we let them work it out themselves. We
can certainly encourage them to adopt a particular
policy as local consensus.  I have personally done
this before.  However we do not impose outsiders as
admins to do things that are against the local
consensus.

Birgitte SB