[Foundation-l] Erik's New Job

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 21:11:43 UTC 2007

On 21/12/2007, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> When someone complains about me not reading properly and it's all down
> to them not reading what I've said properly, it would be foolish to
> assume good faith. Clearly they were more interested in making a
> complaint than actually improving anything.

Not at all. "Assume good faith" is a guideline to how the world
actually works - it's essentially a restatement of "never assume
malice when stupidity will suffice." No-one thinks of themselves as a
villain. You may wish to consider them too stupid to realise their own
stupidity, however. Though saying so in as many words is likely to be
taken only as a personal attack, because stupidity is bulletproof.

- d.