[Foundation-l] Erik's New Job

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 21 14:38:57 UTC 2007

--- Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> The Cunctator writes:
>
> >  But please, don't ask for our harmony, trust,
> generosity, support,
> > and
> > kindness.
> >
> > Earn it.
>
> This is a fair point, so long as it is a reciprocal
> obligation.  I
> have great respect for those who have honest
> criticisms of any process
> or decision at the Foundation.  But sometimes those
> criticisms are
> framed in terms of recrimination, bitterness,
> mean-spiritedness, and
> so on. This choice of tone tends to obscure the
> message.
>
> I think we can all do better.  The way you create
> generosity is not by
> waiting around and demanding that other people be
> generous towards
> you. The way you create kindness is not by insisting
> that we get none
> from you until we "earn it."

This all sounds nice, however you are truly judging
this as reciprocal we have already lost.  While those
people representing WMF are inherently some of the
best people on this list, the "reciprocating" group is
open to anyone.  There will always be bitter,
mean-spirited people around.  If lack of transparency
is really due to these things, lets increase the
moderation to a level where there is enough kindness
to warrant transparency.  Otherwise everyone will just
continue to be held hostage by lowest common
denominator.

Birgitte SB