[Foundation-l] Erik's New Job

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 21:32:14 UTC 2007

> Now, perhaps I'm the only one here, but I have had some serious concerns
> raised about the ethical practices of Sue's position as ED given this situation.
> I understand that in many cases, a private search for a new employee can be
> conducted. But to do so in a manner that appears to be planned (which I have
> strong suspicions it was) and slightly underhanded in front of a community that
> has always (supposedly, last time I checked) been built around honesty and
> openness is upsetting to say the least. I'm not saying that Erik is bad for the
> job, he might be the best damn Deputy ED the Foundation will ever see. And
> if he is, so much the better.

I don't know what you mean by "planned". It's natural to arrange a job
some time in advance of it actually starting. It would be surprising
that Sue and Erik were already in discussions about it by the time the
board were voting to make her ED, in which case Erik was quite correct
in recusing himself.