[Foundation-l] Is popularity a good thing for us?

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 19:23:01 UTC 2007

Hoi,
Ok lets be blunt... you said it "Wikipedia coverage is better". This is the
proof of the pudding. People flock to Wikipedia to learn about news. People
read Wikipedia to get background information to the news, sex and sports
(this in no particular order). Wikipedia is not good at sex; boring
encyclopaedic, for sport you will find articles that are great if you want
background to sports. However for news it shines. You get one article for a
news event and it tells the whole story. GREAT.

This is not what Wikinews does. That is fine. But when you suggest that
Wikipedia should not do news, to me that is you being silly. It does do news
and it does do news in a way Wikinews does apparently  not do it. Wikinews
does news in the traditional way. That is fine. Wikinews was created because
people suggested that there should be a project about news. That is fine.
But in marked difference to Wiktionary, the project was not created because
Wikipedia did not want to do news any more. So when you whine that these
evil people at Wikipedia do not understand the difference between a news
source and an encyclopaedic source, in my opinion you have fallen in the
trap of not understanding what Wikipedia does and. What you need to do is to
carve out a niche for Wikinews. In my opinion this is happening because
Wikinews does things that Wikipedia does not do. (a good example .. the
Reggie Bibbs feature).

What you Wikinewsies should do is not compete with Wikipedia as a news
source but make Wikinews relevant in its own right; complement Wikipedia.
When you get sufficient cloud and make Wikipedia less relevant as a news
source GREAT. But you have to earn it.

In the mean time you do not impress me when you insist on Wikipedia not
doing the one thing they do superbly.

Thanks,
    GerardM

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Interview_with_Reggie_Bibbs_on_his_life_with_neurofibromatosis